Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Movie Feedback

This is the feedback I received on my show opener.


About the opener:
My goal with the concept of "Dr. Hydrogen's Atomic Comic Hour" is to have a show that appeals to fans of the comic book industry - whom range from the young to the old. I came up with the idea of  superhero/host type personality Dr. Hydrogen as a guide of sorts for both long-time fans and newcomers to the culture. Every week, Dr. Hydrogen leads viewers through numerous aspects of the comic book industry, whether it be current trends, looks behind the scenes, or tips from the artists.
I chose music that I felt evoked the feel of comic book drama, similar to the old-school tv show themes.

1 comment:

Corie Chambers said...

visual formativeness: I rate the visual formativeness as an 8. I believe that overall it fits well with the comic book style, especially with the use of the vector drawings. I wonder if you could incorporate those elements in the later segments of the piece such as the web comics and artist interviews. The narrative also fits with the comic book style.

duration: I rate the duration around a 6 or 7. I know that we had a time constraint with these, but overall I feel it is a bit fast. The comics streaming across the scene in the beginning was especially speedy. I did not have time to really understand what they were.

motion: I rate the motion of your show around an 8. The action figure head spinning into place gives the opener a sense of drama right from the beginning. I like the panning in and out of text and image. The action figure walking across the screen feels a bit static. Some of the text moving across the screen also feels fast especially the word "featuring."

transitions: I rate the transitions in the opener a 7. The beginning transition is working well, having the super hero head pan out. I wonder if there could be a more interesting way to transition the scenes that simply come on and off screen from right to left.

comm. channel hierarchy: The music seems to set the tone for the rest of the piece. It flows well into the rest of the piece and creates a high energy rhythm. Image and sound are the first thing the viewer sees while the text is usually last. You are able to bring the viewer in with no textual support to begin with.

I don't think the piece directly breaks out of any normal convention for presentation. Everything is very straightforward in how it is presented. The piece works well in the conventional format since comic books tend to follow a certain format. It could be interesting to have some text coming to to the screen vertically in addition to horizontally.