Sunday, April 20, 2008

_final magazine spreads + project statement

Project Statement:

For me, this project was very challenging, whether it be from the organization of information, the furthering of established visual language rules, typographic hierarchy, or just legibility in general. But it's also a fine assimilation of the things that we've been learning in both classes as well.
One of the first challenges I had overcome was definitely how to organize all the research I had done into a visually cohesive and legible infographic. There were numerous levels of complexity that I had to contend with at one time - forcing me to go through four different paper prototypes before finally graduating to a digital translation of my idea. But it was a necessary ordeal - once I had resolved my major issues by hand, they were infinitely simpler to consider once I moved into the digital realm.
On the other hand, I had to look at this project from a typographic standpoint as well. If my infographic was the core of information, then the magazine spread is that which houses it. Both are equally important - and needed to complement one another. Blending the two together was much more than dropping it into my InDesign document and calling it a day. But that’s why I can appreciate that the progression of both the spread and infographic happened parallel to one another – so I learned to implement similar languages to each. And thus, by learning to contend with all these aspects, I've hopefully compiled the works from both classes and composed them into a visually working ecology.





No comments: