Thursday, March 27, 2008

_project statement

For me, this project was an in-depth study of an idea's simplification and refinement. Though in the initial stages I worked with detailed drawings of the sushi, I learned to refine the idea at hand, taking away any superfluous elements for a more visually compelling icon set.
Scaling the icons was an interesting challenge as well - for it forced me to consider how I could make my chosen visual language work at different sizes. The application of color made me look at my icons again from a different angle - for as designers, we all will have to grapple with a multitude of different parameters. I often thought of the entire process as an algebraic inequality.
For example, let's say A is the icon refinement, B is the scale, and C is the color. I would often ask myself, if parts of A and C were modified, how would that affect B? (Or vice versa.)
Thus by having to contend with issues such as visual languages, scaling and color application, I pushed my own understanding of communication visually.

No comments: